Sunday 6 April 2014

Courtesy to Cosplayers at Conventions

I've just had one of the most amazing weekends at a Supanova convention on the beautiful Gold Coast, Austartlia. The atmosphere was great, people were friendly, and the event was well organised. Aside from the usual mile long line to get in (which was to be expected IMO) everything moved along smoothly and seemingly hassle free. The event was entirely indoors, and I know I for one was grateful for the fully air conditioned convention centre.

There wasn't much I could fault about this event. There were plenty of food outlets, and if they didnt cater to your taste, it was only a short walk down the block to an abundance of cafés and restaurants. There were. Plenty of drink and snack vending machines also, and staff worked well to make sure they were always well stocked. 

Now, from a cosplayers point of view, there was only one thing that left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. And make no mistake, I don't think the event organisers are to be held responsible for this at all. I think it's just something that needs to be made aware to the public. Perhaps some printed posters around lobby and resting areas would be enough? Or perhaps a hall or room somewhere where cosplayers could go that's a strictly 'no camera' zone?

Well, before I get caught in rambling, let me tell you briefly about my personal experience. 

A friend an I had been at the con for quite some hours, and had met up in a hallway for a break. It was a hot day, the crowds had been thick, and many people had stopped us both for a number of photos. My friend was suffering from a headache, and I just needed to sit down after being on my feet for so long. But due to the nature of my costume I needed to remove parts of it in order to sit comfortably, as well as remove all my props, hood, gloves and gauntlets to cool off.

We hadn't been sitting long when a lady approached and asked my friend if she could get a picture of her costume. My friend was reluctant, but obliged anyway. As she was getting her photo taken, another man approached me, asking to photograph my costume. I felt mean in saying no. I felt rude. And I could see his disappointment. I didnt even get up off the ground when he asked me. But at the time, I really didnt feel like going through the hassle of replacing all the pieces of my costume I had just taken off so he could snap a picture with his cell phone.


I am fully aware that as a cosplayer you will receive attention, both good and unwanted. But I think there comes a point when we have to remind others that we aren't always the superheroes we sometimes dress to be. Extravagent outfits can really take it out of a person when worn for long periods, and I just think that sometimes the public needs a little reminding of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment